Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Data Mining News and the Stock Market Part 3 - Collecting Some Prices

This is the third part of my "Data Mining News and the Stock Market" post.
This one turned out to be super easy.
I found this website: http://www.eoddata.com/.
I had an account in a few minutes, and purchased all of the NYSE's end of day data from the past 5 years for $12.50. So far, that's the only money I've spent on this project, and it's well worth it. Since I can't get news data older than April, I really only need the last year. For $12, who cares? I'll take it!

I go to their download page, and this is what I see:

That's right. Less than 10Mb.
The zip files contain a list of text files for every day of 2014. The text files look like this:
I can definitely work with that.

Next up, I'm going to start work on my web scrapers. They're going to need a place to put all the articles I download. I haven't messed with any non relational databases yet. This might be a good project to try one out.


No comments:

Post a Comment